Friday, March 15, 2024

Takes the Cake - March 15, 2024

A storm rolled through here last night.  While I haven't done a walk-about in the yard, from the back porch it looks like nothing was damaged.  All of the seedling containers are still intact.

After yesterday's post, I planted another package of tomato seeds - "Bodacious" - from a seed rack at the hardware store.  If all of these seedlings survive, we will have too many tomato plants.  Every year, I tell The Husband, "Don't let me plant so many tomatoes next year."  But I always plant too many.  (In this neighborhood, tomato plants require a lot of babying, for this is the fungus capital of the world (or so it seems.  Our tomatoes usually catch every kind of blight there is.)  This year, the extra plants will go to the community garden instead of our garden.  

Mid-afternoon, I went to the post office to mail a tax return and a "get well soon" card I painted for the co-worker who just had knee replacement.  The tax return was in a pre-stamped envelope that I'd bought from the post office the previous day.  I had not stamped the greeting card, thinking it might require more than one stamp.  At the post office, I asked the clerk to weigh the envelopes to make sure they had enough postage.  He weighed the card and said one stamp would do it.  I asked about the other envelope.  He said, "It's already stamped."  I said, "Yes, but is it enough?"  

He picked up the envelope, shook it a couple of times, and said, "Probably," and acted like we were done.

Probably?

PROB-AB-LY?

As my mother was fond of saying, "That just takes the cake."

I had to MAKE him weigh it and, sure enough, it needed more postage.  

And people wonder what is wrong with our postal system.  <shaking my head sadly>


No comments:

Post a Comment