Wednesday, May 29, 2024

At 10:00 last night, Son #2 texted a request from The Granddaughters for a meatloaf for dinner today.  Their mother is having surgery today, and they are going to see her at 6, so the meatloaf needs to be there by 4:30. 

It is so weird to me that these girls ask for meatloaf.  

Their meatloaf is cooling as we speak.  

The loaf itself is 2 pounds of ground beef, 5 slices of white or wheat bread (soaked in water and squished into the meat), Cavender's Greek seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper.  (I don't salt it because the Cavender's is already salty.)  I squish it all together until it's mixed well, then cook it in a 9 x 13 glass dish for 45 minutes.  Then I drain it, add the topping, and bake it for another 15 minutes until the topping is bubbly and thick.  

The topping is the trick.  1 cup of jalapeno pepper jelly and 1 cup of ketchup.  Melt the jelly, mix it with the ketchup, pour it over the meat.  That's it.  

When I'm out of jalapeno pepper jelly, I use whatever jelly I've got.  Grape.  Red plum (would make the topping a bit tart).  Blackberry.  But the jalapeno jelly is scrumptious.

* * * * * * * 

I was 2/3s of the way through project year 2 when I left the office.  Letters S - Z remain to be alphabetized.  I hoped to finish year 2 this week, but things (like today's emergency meatloaf and tomorrow's trip to the doctor with The Husband) keep popping up to delay the progress.  




  


No comments:

Post a Comment