Friday, May 3, 2024

Rain - May 3, 2024

Early yesterday morning, I transplanted a few tomato seedlings from their small "cells" into 2" pots.  Since they've had a small dose of fertilizer and week outdoors in the sun, they are looking better.  I need to transplant more, but I'm out of dirt. 

I spent the rest of the morning making phone calls and writing a report.

Around noon, when I needed a stretch break, I decided to walk down to the garden and plant the okra and squash seeds.  I went inside to gather supplies and put on some shoes, and at the very minute I stuck my feet in my crocs, it started raining.  <sigh>  I put everything away and went back to work.

Nanny called mid-afternoon and said she had a pork loin that needed to be cooked and invited us to eat supper with her.  I said I'd make a side dish to go with it.  In our refrigerator were a bowl of cooked, naked spaghetti and a partially de-boned roasted chicken, which I turned into a version of macaroni and cheese.  I baked a couple of big sweet potatoes, and when The Husband got home, we took it all to Nanny's.

After we'd cleaned up the supper dishes, Nanny and The Husband sat back down at the kitchen table, and I went out to the garden to see if the purple hull peas had sprouted.  (They had not.)  On the way, I was thrilled to discover that the mole trap I'd set in her yard had been sprung!  I pulled it up and, sure 'nuff, there was a mole in it!  I took the trap to the back porch and tapped on the storm door.  When The Husband looked around, I showed him the trap and said, "Present for YOU-oooooooo!"  He had not dealt with the last mole we'd caught, the one that was still alive when we pulled the trap out of the ground, the one that was a stinky bag of guts by the time I wanted to set the trap again.  It was his turn.  At least this one wasn't alive and squirming.

We re-set the trap in the front yard.

I need to remember to tell The Brother-in-Law where it is so that he doesn't run over it with his lawnmower, if he gets to Nanny's yard before I do.

It's raining again this morning and is supposed to rain, off and on, all weekend.

I might plant some stuff, anyway.   


No comments:

Post a Comment