Thursday, May 30, 2024

Peppers - May 30, 2024

I got the peppers - 6 jalapeno and 6 bell - in the ground today.  It's supposed to rain tonight, so I left the watering-in to Mother Nature.

During the tilling, raking, planting process, I pitched a number of fits, publicly and privately.  I needed an empty bucket to hold the raked-up grass.  Last year, or maybe the year before, I bought three red 5-gallon buckets from the hardware store.  Do you think there were any on the property today?  Well, there weren't.

What is it with men and 5-gallon buckets?  It's like they can't walk/drive past one without nabbing it.

Before I left the garden, I did a full garden check.  Pulled worms off the broccoli and cabbages.  Some - maybe 25% - of the ancient squash seeds have sprouted.  Their little "hill" had crusted over, and Nanny had hacked into it.  Will this help or hurt?  We'll see.  She also chopped down half of the cucumber seeds that had sprouted.  Was it purposeful?  Was she thinning them?  Maybe they needed thinning.  I think I will let her take charge of the cucumber crop on the fence.  

I heard through the grapevine that the promised tomato stakes have made it to town and are ready to be picked up and hammered into the community garden plot.  I'll pick them up in the morning but will wait until Saturday, when I'm due to hang out with the giant Grandson, to put them in the ground.  He can help.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment