Sunday, May 31, 2020

From the back porch - May 31, 2020


We (mostly) finished weeding the garden yesterday.  And, no, that's not a royal "we";  a few minutes after I began working, I looked up and there stood The Husband, hoe in hand, chopping around the tomatoes.  I felt sorry for him.  He is bothered by arthritis in his hands, and that hoeing would probably make them hurt.  I said to him, "Let's just chop the grass that's right close to the plants, and do the middles with the little tiller."  After a few minutes of chopping, he went to the shed and dragged out the little tiller.

Of course, it wouldn't crank, even with the chuck and the electric drill.

I said, "Let's load it in my car, and I'll take it to the small engine shop."

The small engine shop closes at noon on Saturday.  It's 25 minutes away, and the clock was pushing 11:25 when I hit the road.  My progress was hindered by three different tractors on the way, but I made it with less than 5 minutes to spare.

When I returned to the garden, The Husband was nowhere in sight, but he had (mostly) finished chopping around the vegetable plants.  Back at the house, I found him lounging on the back porch with a tall glass of iced water.  He said, like he was surprised, "It got hot down there!" 

We spent the rest of the afternoon on the back porch, making music together.  Get your mind out of the gutter; we were LITERALLY making music.  He plays the ukulele quite well; I play the mandolin quite badly.  We pulled up some play-along music videos and plucked away for a couple of hours.  I feel like Guitarzan - "makes A & E, and he's workin' on B, digs C & W and R & B...."

After a few minutes of this, the neighbors left home.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment