Wednesday, May 6, 2020

From the back porch - May 6, 2020


The Granddaughter for whom I am making the quilt (and her parents and sisters) came over Monday night.  They currently live waaaaay across the state and were here for a short visit.  I took her into the sewing room and showed her the quilt top.  The blocks are not sewn together, but I had pinned them  to a giant sheet of quilt batting so that she could see how it will look when assembled.  Her comment was, "Cool.  Where is the Marvel Comics stuff?"  She seemed moderately satisfied when I told her I will line the quilt with Marvel Comics fabric, if I can find any.

It seems I was a bit premature with Monday's "Back to work" post.  I did go to the office Monday, but learned that the courts where I work have not yet re-opened.  We are waiting on the state Supreme Court's approval of our re-opening plan.  It'll probably be another week before we hear if the plan is approved. 

I spent part of the day yesterday practicing my mandolin.  I'm trying to learn to play "I'll Fly Away."  It's a bit of a mystery as to how this came about, but I jokingly told my boss that The Husband and I will play that song at her funeral.  She has not let me forget it. 

Y'all, I SUCK at playing the mandolin.  My fingers are barely long enough to reach around the mandolin's neck, and they are stiff and swollen from arthritis.  Hopefully, I will have many years to practice.  Both of my boss's parents lived to be 90+; her dad even made it to 100.  If she inherited their tendency to longevity, she will probably out-live me!

Between yesterday's practice sessions, I worked on some embroidery designs.  Back in the fall, I did these farm animals to put on some placemats:







These designs are meant to be used with fabric that does not ravel, such as felt or flannel.  The stitches that hold the animal appliques to the fabric are running stitches that don't encase the raw edges of the appliques.  Earlier in the week, I had two customers request modified versions of the designs.  One lady wanted a "regular" horse (yes, that's a horse in the first picture, though The Husband says it's a mule).  Another lady wanted the same animals, but with satin edging that fully covers the raw edges of the appliques.  I'd already done a "normal" horse, just hadn't uploaded it to my Etsy store (shameless plug:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/sfancy?ref=seller-platform-mcnav ) because I haven't tested it, yet.  It's going to take a good bit of work to turn the running-stitch-edged designs into satin-stitch-edged designs, almost like starting from scratch.  Got two of them done yesterday, will work on the others today, then I have to test everything before I upload it.

Some time today, I need to walk down to the garden to see how the tomatoes and peppers are doing.  We had a hail storm Monday afternoon - marble-sized hail - that may have beaten the plants into the ground.  It needs to quit raining so that I can finishing plowing and get some seeds in the ground.






No comments:

Post a Comment