Thursday, July 30, 2020

Singing Frogs - July 30, 2020


I am tired today.  It's Casper's fault, mostly.

Last night about midnight, I woke up when The Husband got out of bed for a potty break.  As I lay there trying to go back to sleep, I heard what I initially thought was a cricket chirping.  Dang, it was loud!  I thought it must be right outside the bedroom window.  After a few minutes, I decided that I might as well make a bathroom run, myself, since I was awake.

When I passed by the bedroom door, the chirping got much louder, and I began to wonder if the cricket was INSIDE THE HOUSE.  The bedroom door opens into my office.  When I came back from the bathroom, I stepped into the office, and the chirping immediately stopped.  I stood there for a minute, listening.  Complete silence.  I went to the kitchen for some water, and as I made my way back to the bedroom, I heard the chirping start up again.  It stopped when I went back through the office.

I went back to bed, and as I lay there trying to go back to sleep, the chirping started again.  It was all I could think about.  After a few more minutes, I got up and went to the office to investigate.  I turned on the light and looked for the culprit.  The office is wall-to-wall with bookshelves and furniture; the damned thing could've been hiding anywhere.  Finally, I got my book from the nightstand and went to another bedroom to read until I fell asleep.  I closed all the doors between me and the noise, but once I settled in bed with my book, the singing started again.  I finally decided that it wasn't a cricket, it was Casper, the color-changing tree frog that hangs out around our front porch, perched somewhere near the office window.  

I was reminded of an old cartoon, probably from a Saturday morning Bugs Bunny show.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjsN-J27aU

A guy had a singing frog in a box.  When he opened the box while he was alone, the frog would sing opera tunes, or popular songs. (The song I remember best went, "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal.  Send me a kiss by wire.  Baby my heart's on fire!")  But when the man tried to show his singing frog to someone else, he'd open the box, but the frog would just go, "Ribbit!"  






No comments:

Post a Comment