Friday, July 10, 2020

Purple Hull Peas - July 10, 2020


We picked our first batch of purple hull peas this evening.  It wasn't a lot - I carried them in my shirt-tail - but it was enough for a meal or two for Nanny.  She went straight to shelling them the minute I brought them in the house.  By the time we finished picking the other vegetables, her thumbs were purple.

We picked a basket of green beans, a grocery bag full of squash and as many cucumbers, some peppers, and some tomatoes.  Nanny took possession of the squash.  She's going to freeze them.

I saw evidence of tomato worm feasting and squished four or five of them.  I've caught them early - they were tiny worms.  Tomorrow, I'm going to pick the tomatoes that are ripe and spray some bug spray.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow night, but maybe I can "off" a few worms before then.

Speaking of tomatoes, look at this:



Does that not look exactly like a butt?

I showed it to my sister, who said, "You should make it some little pants."

How can it wear pants?  It doesn't have any legs.

But it could wear a thong.

I just happened to have some little plaster of paris feet, so . . . . 

HAH!


I'm telling you, something weird is going on with that tomato vine.  Look at the one I found this evening:


If that's not a perfect complement to the other tomato, I don't know what is.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on around here, now that I think about it.

We have a very noisy frog living on/around our front porch.  Earlier in the week, I heard a noise that sounded exactly like a puppy barking.  There are no puppies in this neighborhood, as far as I know.  I went to look out the front door and didn't see a puppy, but I did hear the noise again while I was looking out the door.  It came from up high and to my left.  I walked out on the porch and looked up, and found this:


It's a tree frog, and IT CAN CHANGE COLORS!  When it climbs onto the wall, it turns either a sand color (if it's on the siding) or a lighter eggshell color (if it's on the trim).  I'm calling him "Casper" because of the ghostly white color he was wearing when I first saw him.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day in the kitchen.  First up:  washing, snapping, and canning the green beans.  Then, if there are enough cucumbers, I'll start a batch of cucumber relish.  Nanny said it takes 10 pounds, she thinks, to make a batch of relish.  I've been collecting cucumbers for a couple of days, so maybe there'll be enough.  If not, there should be enough in a day or two.










No comments:

Post a Comment