Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Watering and New Peas - July 15, 2020


The garden was looking dry yesterday, so we rolled out the water hoses, turned on the sprinkler, and watered for about an hour, until it got dark, but we didn't finish.  I went back to the garden after work today and started the sprinkler again.

While it was running, I sat in the shade, looking at a grassy spot that never got planted or maintained.  It was full of crab grass and wild morning glories that were trying to wrap around anything they could reach.  I've been meaning to weed that spot and plant something there, so today I did.  I tilled up the spot, raked out the grass, and planted 4 short rows of purple hull peas.  It's been two months since I planted the original crop.  Sixty days from now puts us into the middle of September, so hopefully these new seeds will have time to produce.  We've picked peas twice, and will probably pick twice more before the vines poop out, but we haven't had a very big haul.  Those original peas came up sparsely.  I was going to replant the skips, but my Almost-Son said he would be growing enough peas for both of us, so I didn't bother.  Today, he said that deer have eaten all of  his peas. 

He intends to thin the herd, come fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment