Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Fingers Crossed - September 8, 2021

 I'm scared to say it - the last time I said it, it back-fired - but I *think* we've put a serious dent in the gnat population.  Yes, we're still seeing one occasionally, but we're no longer collecting dozens in the traps every day.  

I think we had a "hatching event" inside the house.  Seriously.  And I think they may have come from that bag of half-rotten onions that the grocery store put in our pick-up order.  It kind of makes me leery of letting store workers select our produce.  

* * * * * * * * 

When I came home from work yesterday, the "prototype" of the project I designed for Cousin Roger was leaning against the settee on the back porch.  To satisfy your curiosity, it is basically a big circle on a stick (with a hat on top) to use as a holiday yard ornament.  It's reversible, with a fall theme (a pumpkin or scarecrow face) on one side and a Christmas theme (snowman, Santa, etc.) on the other.  I'd told Roger to build the thing and bring it to me to paint.  My plan was for the sign to be built out of wood, but he constructed the prototype out of corrugated plastic that someone had given him.  

He motored over on his lawnmower not long after I came home.  "Whaddaya think?" he asked.  I told him that he had the basic idea right, and that I'd get some paint and see if I could come up with cute designs.  

Since he's anxious to work, I went on to the hardware store to buy durable paint.  I came home and sketched out one side of the design.  It turns out that it's pretty hard to paint on corrugated plastic.  Spray-painting the large parts was no problem, but painting the design across the corrugations was tricky.  A straight line painted on wavy stuff doesn't look very straight.  This would not be a problem on wood.  I made cardboard patterns for the facial features for side 1.  Will do the other side this afternoon.

I spent $40 on paint.  

Keeping Roger busy is expensive.  ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment