Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Gnat War Rages On - 9/5/2021

 For a while yesterday, I thought we about had the gnat problem licked.  Over the past few days, we'd seen fewer and fewer carcasses in the gnat bait bowls, which I've been refreshing every day.  Last night before I went to bed, I put out fresh bait.  This morning when I got up, the bowl in the living room was gnat free, and I thought, "Hallelujah!"'

I went out to the back porch and worked on an embroidery design.  

Two hours later, I went inside and passed by the bowl, and glanced down, and found this:


In two hours!

WHERE ARE THESE M*TH*RF*CK*RS COMING FROM????

I've read that they can live in potting soil.  My living room windowsill is lined with pots of African violets, but they don't seem to be living there.  There's no swarm when I water the plants or poke around in the soil.  Every vegetable in the house - onions, potatoes, everything - is in the refrigerator.  We're taking the garbage out every day and spraying the can with Lysol.  We've put stoppers in all of the drains when we're not using the sinks.  And still they come.  

They're driving us nuts.  We've learned to look in our cups and glasses before we take a sip, because if it's been sitting there long, there's a gnat in it.  This is like a horror movie.

I have resorted to putting a rubbing alcohol and soap mixture in a fine mist spray bottle.  When I see a gnat flying or crawling on the rim of the bowl, I blast it with alcohol.  It's supposed to kill them - I'm not sure it does kill them, but it slows them down enough that I can smack them as they attempt to shake it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment