Sunday, September 26, 2021

Not the way I planned it - September 26, 2021

My yesterday did not turn out the way I'd planned.

Friday evening I'd brought home those two big wooden circles, which I intended to paint yesterday.  Cousin Roger had already base-coated them, but on close inspection I saw that they needed base-coating again.  I re-painted them and set them to dry under a fan while I cooked breakfast.  They were dry by the time we finished eating.  I put on my painting clothes and settled down to work.

Some days, I can pick up a pencil or a paint brush and get exactly what I want from it.  Yesterday was not one of those days.  By 10 a.m. when The Husband came out to the porch looking like he had something on his mind, I was ready to lay down the paintbrush.  

Since it hadn't rained for several days, I thought perhaps he was contemplating water-sealing the back porch, which I have been itching to do.  He seemed amenable to the idea, so I washed out my paintbrushes and switched gears.  Moved the furniture to the center of the porch.  Got out the step-ladder.  Poured some water-sealant in a paint pan.  Started to work on the wall boards.  


But The Husband had faked me out.  

As I began to slap water-seal on the first board, he said, "I need to do some tractoring."  The pasture in front of Nanny's house needed mowing.  Well, I thought, that shouldn't take long, and he'll come back to help.  So I kept water-sealing.

I was finishing the first coat on the last wall board when he came back home 4 hours later.  "Perfect timing," I said, when he walked onto the porch.  "But that was just the first coat.  There's still some fun left for you."

But daylight was quickly fading by then.  And there wasn't enough water-sealant left for a second coat on the walls, and I hadn't even started on the floor.  And I was pooped by then.  And hungry.

While The Husband showered off the dust, I ordered us a pizza for dinner.  I changed shirts - the one I was wearing was a bit sticky - and rode with him to get the pizza.  (It is possible to have pizza delivered out here, but we'd probably have to buy the driver a tank of gas.)  We stopped to get beer on the way home.  By the time we got here, I was so stiff I could barely get out of the truck.  

I ate, showered, popped a couple of Tylenol, and went to bed.  

The plan for today is to do the second coat on the porch walls and do the floor.  Before that can happen, we need another gallon of water-sealant.  So, when The Husband finally drags his lazy butt out of bed, one of us is going to the store while the other starts the second coat with the remaining water-sealant.  

I plan to enjoy the drive.  ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment