Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Happy feet - September 21, 2021

 

Check out my funky new house shoes.  I made them yesterday from an old wool sweater (from Goodwill) that I shrunk in hot water.


I wish I'd taken a picture of the house shoes I threw away yesterday.  I'd been wearing them for several years.  They were laughable, even when new.  They, too, were made from a Goodwill sweater.  They were toasty warm, and made absolutely no sound as I walked around in them.  I'd worn half-dollar-sized holes  at the heels, and at the balls of my feet were holes so big that sometimes my big toes would get hung in them as I slid my feet into the shoes.  The only drawback was that the felt bottoms were a bit slippery on hardwood floors.  

There must be half-a-dozen pairs of store-bought house shoes in my closet.  One is too noisy.  One is too squishy.  One is boot-like, and even have microwave-able inserts for extra warmth, but they can't be stepped into without stooping to pull them on.  Plus they're about 2 sizes too big.  Inevitably, I went back to the home-made shoes.

The new ones are the bomb.  I sewed pleather to the soles for extra durability and lined them with quilt batting and satin for extra warmth.  They are a little oddly shaped.  The "pattern" I saw wasn't actually a pattern - there was just a picture of the unassembled shoes with the instruction to cut the fabric like the picture.  So I put my foot down on a piece of paper, drew around it, and tried to draft my own pattern.  It took a couple of tries before I got it reasonably close to the picture.  

Yeah, they're a little wonky.  But so are my feet.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment