Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Bad daughter-in-law - December 19, 2023

I drove Nanny to her doctor appointment yesterday.  The appointment was at 1:15, so I picked Nanny up at noon.  She got in the car apologizing for the trouble.  I assured her that I was happy to do it.

We arrived well before 1:15. I dropped Nanny off at the door and went to park the car while she signed in.  Nanny was still in the sign-in line when I came in.   The waiting room was packed.  A plaque on the wall said that if your name is not called within 15 minutes of your appointment time, check with the front desk.  By 1:30, several people who had come in behind Nanny had already been called.  ("I know that man came in after me, because he held the door for me.")  Nanny was irked, and she went up to the desk to see if she had been overlooked.  It turned out that her appointment was actually 1:30. She still had 15 minutes to stew until she could legitimately complain.  She came back to where I was sitting and apologized again for keeping me so long.  She speculated that they were making her wait (out of spite, presumably) because she had cancelled her last appointment.  I said, again, that I was fine, was happy to help, and that maybe those people who had come in after her were seeing a different doctor.

At 1:45, she went back to the desk.  They said there was one more person before her.  After several more people were called back.  Nanny just knew they were making her wait because she had cancelled her last appointment.  She apologized again and again.  I said it was ok.

Finally - I don't even know what time it was - they called Nanny's name.  I went with her to the room.  The nurse put the blood pressure cuff on her and walked out of the room without turning it on.  When she came back to check it, she discovered that she hadn't hit the start button, so she punched it and left the room again.  Nanny said that they were dilly-dallying on purpose to make us wait longer because she had cancelled her last appointment, and that her blood pressure was probably over the moon from having been made to wait so long.  (Her blood pressure was fine.)  The doctor did not come in right away.  When he did come in, he said everything was hunky-dory, come see him again in 6 months.  

Nanny apologized again as we were walking to the car.  I said, "Nanny, please stop apologizing.  Please. I really am glad to help you."  

Traffic was congested on the street outside the office because a construction crew was digging up a sidewalk and had blocked the right-hand lane.  We waited through three red lights.  Nanny apologized again that everything had taken so long that we were having to drive home in rush-hour traffic.  

I looked over at her and said, "Nanny, I swear, if you apologize for that again, I am going to put you out of the car."

She grunted and said she would just get out and fall in the big hole the construction crew was digging, and the digger could cover her up.

I said I'd try to remember where they put her.  ;)

* * * * * * * * 

Today is painting class day.  I don't know how much painting we'll do, since we're having a Christmas party.  Everyone is bringing food and gifts.  Before we left for Asheville, I made zippered cosmetic bags for the 8 ladies in the class.  Last night I made sausage-stuffed puff pastry bites for my food contribution.  I'll bake them before I leave for class and take a jar of pepper jelly to go with them.  

Tonight at 5:30, we're going to Granddaughter #2's school to see if she has been selected as the "Homecoming Princess" for her 8th grade class.  We most likely will not stay for the basketball game that will follow.

And sometime between the painting class and the homecoming festivities, I should either buy groceries or finish the odds-and-ends Christmas shopping still left to do.  

Tomorrow is office day, and I believe that we'll be having the office Christmas dinner around noon.  Not knowing if there will be a gift exchange, I have made zippered cosmetic bags for my co-workers.  But I ran out of time before we left for Asheville, and still have several bags to make.  The sewing room light may be burning late tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment