Saturday, December 30, 2023

Mouse Patrol - December 30, 2023

Although I had planned to let The Husband deal with dead mouse #2, imagining its little gray ghost, hovering in the corner not 6 feet from where I work (saying to itself "What happened?") was enough to force me to dispose of the carcass, myself.  All morning, I had been congratulating myself on having eliminated a PAIR of mice - a couple - thinking I might have prevented the breeding of dozens of babies that could have tried to inhabit my happy place.  But when I actually picked up the trap, I discovered that what was in it was not a mouse but a shrew.  

Of course, this completely destroyed my "mouse population prevention" theory, for as far as I know, mice do not "do it" with shrews.

Once I discovered that I'd offed a shrew, I felt kind of bad about it.  It was furry and fat, and a lovely shade of gray, and would probably have been kinda cute with its eyes open.  But I reckon that a shrew is as nasty and as bothersome as a mouse, so it was a good riddance.

I re-set the trap and put it back in the corner.  It's still unsprung this morning, and I haven't heard any more thumping in the wall.  Hopefully, there are not a dozen orphaned baby mice decomposing under the siding.  I was hopeful that I'd eliminated the back porch mouse problem.  

So yesterday morning The Husband says, "Didn't you buy TWO mousetraps?  We need one in our bathroom."  

<sigh>

* * * * * * * * * 

I had some errands to run yesterday.  My sister called mid-morning and invited us to eat blackeyed peas and cornbread with her on New Year's Day.  I said I'd make slaw and MAYBE a dessert, but I had to go to the store for ingredients.

I also needed to go to the beauty shop for a haircut.  Two weeks ago, right before we left for our Asheville trip, I dropped by that shop for a trim.  As the hairdresser worked on me, we chatted and laughed, and I didn't pay much attention to the final result.  It turned out to be the worst haircut I've ever had.  The sides stuck out like Pippi Longstocking.  Yesterday, I went back to the same shop, and the same hairdresser re-cut my hair.  She did a good job this time.  I left the shop feeling all up-beat.  

When I got in the car and turned the key, nothing happened.

This has happened several times in the past year or so.  One minute the car cranks just fine; the next minute...nothing.  I've had the battery tested; it's fine.  When it won't crank, the "red post" on the battery is absolutely thick with greenish powder.  The last time this happened two months ago, the person who gave me a boost suggested that I should pour a Coke over the battery post, now and then, to remove the corrosion build-up.  Only a couple of days ago, I thought about that advice as I was driving, but of course I didn't remember to do it when I got home.

So yesterday, it was the same problem.  It was cold and spitting snow.  I went back into the beauty shop and asked if I could beg, borrow, or buy a Coke.  The hairdresser had about a cup of flat Diet Coke in a 2-liter bottle, and she gave it to me.  I poured it over the battery post, and it removed the corrosion, but the car still wouldn't crank.  I called an auto parts store up the street from the beauty shop, and they sent a lady with a battery booster pack (didn't even charge me - gotta love life in a small town).  The car cranked right up.  The person said my battery was showing a good charge, and that the problem must be with the cable.  I will have this seen about next week.

Meanwhile, I still had to go to the grocery store, which is right around the corner from the beauty shop.  I was afraid the car would not crank again if I turned it off, so I just left it running while I was in the store.  I did not worry about it being stolen, for this car is a stick-shift.  Probably only one out of a hundred people know how to drive one, and this person would be too old and wise to risk going to jail.  ;)

On my way home, I dropped off a new bottle of Diet Coke at the beauty shop.  :)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment