Friday, December 8, 2023

Sometimes I wonder - December 8, 2023

In my attempts to learn to paint, I watch a lot of videos.  (Sometimes, I even try to do the paintings.)  Thanks to youtube's consideration of things that might interest me, stuff pops up that I would not ordinarily see.  

Case on point:  zentangle.  

Which led to zendoodle and all sorts of doodles.  Ad nauseum.

Last week, I saw a doodle in which the artist had woven a name into the design.  CoolThe Granddaughters would love it on a sweatshirt.  For Christmas.  Using their favorite colors.

I did what I considered to be a suitable original doodle with Granddaughter #3's name woven in.  It looked fabulous colored.  Tuesday, I bought a pink hoodie at the dollar store and imprinted my doodle onto it using sublimation.  Yes, a white hoodie would have been better, as it would not have tinted the original colors, but the dollar store didn't have a plain white hoodie.  And, yes, dollar store shirts typically do not contain enough synthetic fibers to be colorfast.  But I did not care.  I wanted to test the whole process before gearing up for mass production of shirts for ALL the granddaughters (6, to be exact).

#3's shirt turned out halfway okay.  The pink background muted the bright colors of the original, and the name is a tad uphill, but the shirt will do for playing outside.  The kid will have outgrown the shirt by spring, anyway, and she spends half her time cartwheeling, so who is going to notice her name's uphill?  

Believing that my grand project was do-able, Tuesday night, I ordered five more hoodies.

Yesterday, I spent ALL DAY doing the artwork for the remaining names.  I resorted to cheating; instead of doing 5 different designs, I did one with no name at all, scanned it, and figured out how to get the names woven in using the computer.  By nightfall, I had 5 prints, ready to paint in the girls' favorite colors.

I felt so...accomplished.

Today I discovered that I ordered the wrong sizes:  two adult smalls, two adult XLs, and one dark purple kid-sized hoodie (against which no sublimated design will ever show).  

WTF was I thinking?  

<sigh>


No comments:

Post a Comment