Saturday, June 22, 2024

Hot Old Lady - June 22, 2024

It was hot today.

But not at 5 a.m., when the asshole dog woke me up with his howling.  By 6, I'd cleaned up a water puke.  Thank goodness he did it on the porch (where he gets his water), so all I had to do was hose it away.  

After he puked, I took him in the house and brought my coffee out to the porch and TRIED to play my morning word game, but the dog wanted out.  Then he wanted in.  Then he wanted back out.  By the time The Husband got up, I was ready to throttle the dog.  

But I have to cut him (the dog) some slack.  He's old, and he's out of his routine and probably missing his family and his king-sized doggie bed.  At my house, when we're in the room, he sleeps on the cold, hard floor, which probably doesn't help his arthritis. (When I come home from work, he's laid out on the couch with his head on a pillow.  It's a tough life over here.)

At 10:00, we had to go pick up The Husband's truck from a repair shop.  Some sensor went out.  We drove up there in the Wrangler with the top up but the windows off.  The Husband said it smelled musty to him, and we ought to take out the carpet and lay it out to dry.  This suggested started a chain of events that just now paused for the day.

We took the carpets out, and I doused them with Mr. Clean, scrubbed them with a brush, and jetted them with the water hose.  They hadn't been out in years.  Underneath them, there was a little moldy stuff, but even more worrisome was RUST in the front passenger floor pan.  I scrubbed on it with a wire brush and vacuumed the debris.  It's not close to rusting through, but it has eaten some paint and pitted the metal in a couple of places.  My brother-in-law is an autobody man and lives just down the road from me.  I texted him and asked him to stop by here and look at it, and tell me what to do.  An hour later, he rolled up in his Jeep, got out, left it running.  I showed him the rust.  He bent down and scratched at it a couple of times, and said, "Yeah, it's rusting.  Drive the m*th*rf*ck*r."  And acted like he was just going to get back in his Jeep and roll on.

I said, "WAIT!"

In the end, he did concede that there was some stuff that I could spray on to remove at least some of the rust, and some other stuff I could spray on to retard further rusting.  I went out looking for rust remover, didn't find the stuff I wanted, but bought another brand and tried it.  Except in those two nasty spots, it did a pretty good job, but it took some paint with it. I am going to work on those nasty spots again tomorrow.  And then I'm going to tackle the moldy stuff in the back floor (which is partly leaf debris) with some bleach water.




No comments:

Post a Comment