Sunday, June 23, 2024

Phlox week - June 23, 2024

Our vegetable garden needs weeding, and there are purple hull pea seeds on the back porch table that need to be planted.  Before the seeds can be planted, I need to run the tiller down the rows and rake out the grass.

It's supposed to be 95 degrees today.  The best time to do the tilling and weeding is RIGHT NOW.  But, as you may remember, the garden is down at Nanny's house, and it is not quite 7 a.m.  If I were to go to the garden now, I'd wake up everybody on the hill.  So I will wait until Nanny leaves for church.  Anybody who isn't up by 10:30 needs to be up, anyway.  ;)

Noises from the kitchen signal that The Husband is up.  (I've been up since 4:30, when the dog howled.)  He needs to be up and moving.  We have a yucky job to do today.

The air-conditioning unit in our bedroom went kaput a couple of weeks ago.  We called a repairman; it's beyond fixing.  Both the inside unit and the outside unit have to be replaced.  The inside unit is in the attic and will have to be brought down in pieces.  Our attic is full of junk and needs to be rearranged enough to give the installers room to work.  This is a chore I dread.  (I'd planned to leave it for my kids to do after I die.)  The stairs are the pull-down kind.  The attic is not fully floored.  All kinds of perils.  We need to get at it before the day gets any hotter.  It'll probably be 10:00 before we get started, which is about the time I need to go to the garden.

I may not have much "oomph" left for the garden.

Also, I need to work on the Wrangler again.  The floor needs another scrubbing before the carpet goes back in.  The fenders need a back-to-black treatment. 

 And the radio won't play anything but static.  

Back in the winter, I noticed that my antenna was gone.  I bought a replacement, but it didn't solve the problem.  I bought another replacement yesterday, but it didn't solve the problem, either.  The built-in cassette player works.  Evidently, the radio is just not getting the signal.  I took out the glove box and looked at the wires. The Wrangler's original owner did some monkeying around with the electronics.  He put a 10-disc CD player behind the back seat and installed a sweet over-head speaker system under the roll bar and ran the wires under the carpets.  The wires culminate in a mass behind the glove box.  I don't know what is what, but it seems like everything is plugged in correctly.  I checked some fuses, they all looked ok.  I'm stumped, but I'd like to get it fixed, because I'm about sick of this one cassette I found in the storage well.

It's phlox week, the only week of the year when my yard is kind of pretty.  Here are some pics from  my morning stroll.

Bee balm, yarrow, and lavender along the driveway are all in decline.  Ignore the upside-down boat, please.  

"Stump garden" - in progress.

Shady stuff between the porch and the patio.  



This is the only hydrangea that bloomed this year.  The big blue hydrangea in the previous pic got cold-nipped in March and didn't bloom.



P.S.:

We tackled the attic around 8:30.  Hauled out six big garbage bags of paperback books and other debris that never should have gone to the attic in the first place.  As soon as we quit in the attic, I went to the garden.  The Husband showed up a little later and helped with the tilling and the weeding.  Two new rows of peas in the ground.

I should have tackled the Wrangler floorboard as soon as we got back from the garden.  It was 12:30 and HOT.  The Husband said, "Wait until it cools off to start that."  The problem with waiting until it cools off is that's when the mosquitoes attack.  Nevertheless, he talked me right out of the idea.  Instead of bleaching the Jeep, I showered and did two loads of laundry.  Might spend the rest of the afternoon painting.

Until it cools off.





No comments:

Post a Comment