Friday, June 14, 2024

Pile Reduction - June 14, 2024

This has been one hell of a week.  

Monday morning, they brought down Year 4 records AND Year 5 records.  I'd hoped to knock out Year 4 by Thursday and do the first sort on Year 5 today.  Well, that didn't happen.  Year 4 records, which were presumed to be less voluminous than previous years, was a MONSTER.  It turned out that, though there may have been fewer reports, there were DUPLICATES of many reports - and sometimes more than one copy.  I did not realize this until I began to alphabetize the A-B-C stacks, by which time I had made additional copies of some things.  No wonder the stacks were immense!

Year 4 is finished, all but T-V-X-Y-Z, which I can knock out in an hour Monday morning.

I stopped by the community garden on my way home.  Pulled up the remaining lettuce, washed the dirt off the roots, and donated it to the food pantry.  I also fertilized the tomatoes, flowers, and herbs again. I left one HUGE, bolted lettuce plant in the garden.  It's about 3 feet tall, and it's about to bloom.  Maybe the blooms will attract pollenators to our plot, and it will be interesting to see what happens with the seeds it throws when the blooms die.  Will we have lettuce from them this fall?  

The okra has sprouted in our home garden.  Worms are eating the cabbage and broccoli down to skeletons.  Yesterday I started smashing the worms between the Swiss cheese leaves, but it was disgusting and I finally gave up and just broke the leaves off and trampled them with my big crocs.  The remining stalks have little leaf shoots on them.  It would be cool if the cabbage worm moths have laid their eggs and moved on, giving the plants a chance to re-grow without worms bugging them.  We'll see.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment