Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Kitchen Duty - September 9, 2026

Last night as we were eating left-over meatloaf for dinner and lamenting our lack of appetite in this outrageous heat, The Grandson suggested red beans and rice.  

So I went to the grocery store early this morning and got the ingredients.  I intended to put andouille sausage in it but got side-tracked on the way to the meat department and forgot to get any.  Thus, this pot of red beans is getting polish sausage and ham, instead.

What side-tracked me was a passing glimpse of a package of coconut.  The Husband loves coconut pie.  Detour to the freezer section for a pie crust.  

I came home from the grocery store and went straight to cooking.  Sweated the vegetables, low and slow, while the beans soaked.  Made the pie.  Sent The Husband the picture when it came out of the oven.  

There were two pie shells in the package.  I made a ham & cheese quiche with the extra one.

The beans are simmering on the stove.  The quiche just came out of the oven.

A few minutes ago, The Husband called and said he had a meeting after work.  

Just for that, I may send a slice of pie to all of the neighbors.

A friend invited me to a meeting of her book club at 2:30.  The beans probably won't be done by then, so I'm not sure I'll make it to the book club.

Or maybe I'll dump them into the crock pot and motor on.




No comments:

Post a Comment