Two people that I know have birthdays today. They are both old enough to remember what happened 25 years ago today. I remember it well.
I was on my way to work, listening to the local classic rock station, when one of the goofy DJs announced that a plane had hit one of the twin towers in New York. It had just happened, and the DJ did not know what kind of plane it was. At that moment, nobody suspected that it was anything other than a tragic accident. When I arrived at my office, I turned on the old rabbit-eared TV we had. It wasn't long before news of the other planes was broadcast.
My sister was living and working for the government in the DC area at the time and occasionally visited the Pentagon. I panicked and started trying to call her. The phone lines were jammed; there was no getting through to her. Fortunately, she was able to telephone me to tell me that she was okay, and she asked me to get word to our parents, whose phone line was down because of some bulldozing being done in their yard. I called my uncle, who lived just across the hill from my parents, and asked him to go tell my parents that my sister was okay. My mother said that the first thing he said when he got out of his truck was, "She's okay."
* * * * * * * *
We got a little rain last evening, but not enough to help our drought situation. The weather radar app shows some clouds coming from the west. Hopefully, they will hang together long enough to give us a little more rain. Our hydrangeas are crispy.
* * * * * * * *
Tomorrow is the day of the benefit dinner. I spent part of the day yesterday gathering up the things I will take. I am nervous, a little excited, and a little bit dreading the day. The temperature is predicted to be "only" 94 degrees, so it will be a little cooler than it has been, but still mighty hot. I hope the heat doesn't make people stay home.
No comments:
Post a Comment