Thursday, March 11, 2021

Hyacinth Bean Vine Seeds - March 11, 2021


 

I may be a little late getting them started, but today I planted some hyacinth bean vine seeds that my friend saved from her plants and mailed to me last year.  She sent about 20 seeds.  They actually do look like beans - they're black, with white "lips."  I soaked them in water for 24 hours.  One bit of info said that it may take 2 weeks for them to germinate.

I don't really have a good place to sprout seeds, and I don't have any "equipment" - no trays or grow lights.  There was a fairly full bag of potting soil in a cabinet on the back porch, and I cut down a Blue Apron box for a tray.  The Blue Apron shipment comes in a leak-proof insulated bag, so I cut it down, too,  and used it to line the cardboard tray.  It's about 6" deep, so there should be plenty soil for the seeds to develop good root systems.  (If they sprout, that is.)  I covered the whole business with Press and Seal to make a mini-greenhouse, and set it on a table on the back porch.  Once the seeds sprout, I'll move the box to the front porch, where it will get more light and where I will see it (and thus remember to water it) every day when I get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment