Sunday, March 14, 2021

Let the Gardening Begin - March 14, 2021

 

This morning on my way through the living room, I glanced at the television and saw an areal view of a homestead garden.  I said to The Husband, "Look at that big GARDEN.  That's a very nice GARDEN."  You see, I've been riding his butt about getting our garden ready to plant, since he's got a new tractor, and all.  He took the hint; about an hour later, he got busy with the breaking plow and the disc.  He says he's going to buy us a tiller this week, one that can be pulled behind the tractor.


Yes, it's too early to plant most things.  And, yes, it's supposed to rain for the next few days.  But we've got the garden in shape so that if I decide to plant some early stuff, I can get out the big black tiller and fix up a row or two.

After we came home from the garden, Cousin Roger showed up, riding his lawnmower.  He came to borrow my belt sander.  He's refinishing a porch swing that I gave him earlier in the week.  It's about half-rotten in spots, but I figured he could use it for a pattern to build another one, if he was of a mind to do so.  He ended up replacing the bad wood and is ready to sand off the old paint and refinish sit.  He was a bit dismayed that the only sanding belt I had was big grit stuff; he needed something a little less scratchy.  

I started to lay into him about using up all of my sandpaper.  He's borrowed ALL of my mouse sandpaper, and now he's done started on my belt sander stuff.  But I hated to fuss at him.  Cousin Roger has had a few bad years, with ailments brought on by too much beer and too many BC powders.  He was in the hospital last year, and because of the covid restrictions, he laid up in the hospital, alone, for about a week.  It wasn't his first hospital trip, but it was the first time that his mother wasn't there to take charge of the healthcare details.  Without mama there to run interference for him, he had to listen for himself to what the doctors were saying.  I believe he had a "come to Jesus" moment at the hospital, for he's been a new man ever since.  He's procured a little shed and has been busy making things out of wood.  He's a regular shopper at the local hardware store, and he's been doing some horse-trading to acquire some saws and such.  I'm proud for him, and happy to enable his woodworking projects.

But, damn, he's used up ALL my sandpaper.

So, as he was leaving with my belt sander and the rest of my mouse sandpaper, I hollered, "Hey, Roger, go buy your ass some sandpaper."

He hollered back, "A'ight."

"And buy me some while you're at it.  'Cause I'm OUT."

* * * * * * * * * * 

I spent ALL DAY Saturday and much of today in the sewing room, working on the super-hero quilt.  About 30 minutes ago, I finished piecing the top together.  It lacks the borders, but I don't have the fabric to do them.  I started to stop and get the fabric Friday after I left work, but I didn't figure I'd be ready for it by the end of the weekend, plus I really wanted to take the quilt top to the fabric store to make sure the colors match with the fabric I've picked out for the borders.  The fabric store is closed on Mondays, so it'll be Tuesday before I can get the fabric.  I hope to have it ready to be quilted by Thursday.  

I'll show you a picture when it's done.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment