Saturday, July 31, 2021

Canning Tomatoes Today - July 31, 2021

 

It has been so stinkin' hot this week!   This morning the weather-person said that it'll be 97 degrees before the day is over.

I went to the garden early to pick tomatoes.  Sweat started pouring out of my hair the minute I stepped out the door.  

Critters had munched a bunch of the nicest tomatoes.  I picked everything that seemed to be thinking about turning red.  The sills on the back porch are lined up with half-ripe tomatoes, and the kitchen sink is full of mostly-ripe ones.  There's a pot of water heating on the stove to scald them.  

The purple hull peas needed picking, too.  As I was picking them, Nanny came outside with a picking sack and a knife, wanting to know if I needed her to pick something.  I was about finished with the peas by then.  I said, "No, I got it."  But she kept asking. 

"Do you want me to pick the green beans?"  

"Not today; it's too hot."

"Do you want me to pick the cucumbers?"

"Not today; we got them a few days ago."

"Do you want me to cut the okra?"

I had already spot-checked the okra, and there were only a few pods ready.  I said, "Yeah, go ahead and cut the okra," and joined her in the okra rows.

I hope it cools off this week, as predicted.  The garden needs weeding, and I want to pull up the pea vines and plant a new crop.


No comments:

Post a Comment