Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Swamp - July 20, 2021

 If you've been wondering what I've been doing in the garden these past few days, the answer is "nothing."

It has rained every day for four days.

Our garden is a swamp.

The last time I was in the garden (last Friday), I saw a zucchini that was big enough to pick.  Ever since then, I've been planning on making some zucchini bread.  Today after work I went to get the zucchini.  It was the size of a small watermelon, and there were several others that were just right for eating.  Fortunately, the zucchini is on the front row of the garden, and we'd spread a thick layer of pine needles around the plants, so I was able to *gingerly* step onto the soil far enough to twist off the zucchinis.  

That one zucchini was so big that after I cut out the spongy seed parts, there was enough zucchini left to make two loaves of zucchini bread, and that was using only the top half of the thing.  I chopped up the rest of it for the compost pile.  

One of the zucchini bread loaves is savory; the recipe called for green onions and cheese, and I added a minced clove of fresh garlic.  The other loaf is a sweet bread, with raisins and pecans.  They're in the oven now.

It'll probably be two days before the garden dries up enough to get in there and pick stuff.  And that's IF it doesn't rain anymore.

There'll be a lot of picking to do, and a lot of canning.



No comments:

Post a Comment