Thursday, July 1, 2021

Rain! - July 1, 2021

 

It's raining again.  Mother Nature didn't play today; she sent us a good soaker.  

It's 9 p.m., and I am sitting on the back porch, listening to the rain and the frogs croaking in the pond down the hill.  I reckon the frogs are liking this.  I reckon I do, too.

But I'm thinking about what all I'll need to do once the garden dries up.

The rain will have washed off all the stuff I sprayed on the tomatoes, and I'll need to reapply peroxide/water, fungicide, and bug-icide.  

The cucumbers and zucchini I did not pick two days ago will be the size of baseball bats.  I'll make relish out of the big cucumbers (if they're not tooooo big), and zucchini bread out of the zucchini (the bread is really the only reason I even grow zucchini).  

There will probably be an apron-load of ripe tomatoes.  

I need to fertilize the green beans and butterbeans, and wanted to do it with a water-soluble fertilizer on the end of a water hose, but the ground may be too wet for a few days to soak up the fertilizer.  If I had side-dressed them with granular fertilizer before this rain, I'd be all happy about it now.  But I didn't (and still don't) have any.

I am grateful for the cardboard we put down in the garden.  That'll save us at least a little bit of weeding when the ground dries up enough to work it.




No comments:

Post a Comment