Sunday, July 11, 2021

Cucumber Relish Batch #2 - July 11, 2021

 

I went down to the garden yesterday morning to check for tomato worms.  We'd had what seemed like a good, slow rain the prior evening, and I was expecting the garden to be too muddy to do much tromping around.  But either we didn't get as much rain as I thought or the ground soaked it right up, for I had no problem moving around; there was no actual mud anywhere.

I dispatched one tomato worm.  Tied some of the vines to the fence.  And, since it was not muddy, I got a hoe and started chopping grass between the tomatoes and the cucumbers.  In the process, I discovered a lot of cucumbers - five gallons, to be exact.  I gave Nanny some of the smaller ones and brought the rest home to start a new batch of cucumber relish.

But there was a problem: I had plenty of regular canning jars, but no regular canning lids.  When I mentioned this to The Husband, he said that one of his social media friends had come into a big batch of canning lids, but needed cucumbers.  We worked a trade with her; she gave me a stack of lids, and I gave her a sack full of cucumbers.  Win-win.

I'll be canning the relish later today.



* * * * * * * * * 

Last night, all of my kids and grandkids came over for pizza, watermelon, and birthday cake.  It was so much fun.  Both of my sons brought their guitars, The Husband got out his ukulele, and there as a concert on the back porch.  Fun times.



No comments:

Post a Comment