Saturday, June 11, 2022

Garden Check - June 11, 2022

Today is Granddaughter #3's birthday.  She is feeling better from her bout with covid, but her parents and two of her sisters are still testing positive, so there was no big birthday party.  About lunchtime, The Husband and I showed up on their patio with a balloon bouquet, a stuffed hedgehog, and some cupcakes.  We lit a candle, sang "Happy Birthday," blew kisses, and skedaddled.  

Late this afternoon I tied on my gardening apron and went to see what was happening in the vegetable garden.  Hadn't even peeked at it for nearly two weeks.  Everything is growing well, including the grass.  I put on my gloves and got the hoe out of the shed for the first time this season.  It seemed mighty dull.  I sharpened it on the bench grinder, but it didn't seem any sharper.  After a little bit, I decided, Screw this hoe! and went to the shed to get the tiller.  Son #1 has borrowed the big black tiller, but he'd left Gloria, the little red tiller, which never wants to crank.  I dragged it out, filled it with gas, pumped the squishy button, and it fired off after a couple of pulls.  Miracles do happen!

Half of the garden was too wet to work, but I got the dry half weeded.  Tomorrow I need to go back and tie the tomatoes to their stakes.  They are growing like crazy.

When the first horsefly zoomed my head, I decided it was time to call it quits.  Before I could get away, two of them got me on the leg.  They chased me into the car, all the way up the driveway, slamming themselves at the windows.  They followed me all the way to the front door.  



No comments:

Post a Comment