Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Planting, Round 2 - June 15, 2022

It was powerful hot again today.  According to my computer, it was 91 degrees at 7 p.m., but after supper I put on my gardening clothes and went to the garden with a pocket full of seed packets and a 1-pound bag of purple hull pea seeds.  I must have lived somewhat right for the last day or two, for the little red tiller cranked after a bit of coaxing, and I set about pulverizing some dirt in what was to be the okra row.  Planted those seeds by hand, covered them up.

The first planting of purple hull peas sprouted on the dry half of the garden, and there were three more rows empty rows, designated for peas.  I moved the tiller to the first half-row and dug up the rest of the row, and when I turned around to start up the next row, I looked up and saw Nanny at the far end of the garden with a hoe in her hand, chopping, and bending over to pull grass.  She has been complaining of dizzy spells and has no buIsiness chopping in this heat.  I throttled the tiller down and hollered, "Nanny, you're not supposed to be doing that.  I don't want to be picking you up." 

Little woman ignored me and kept on chopping, like she didn't hear.  

I cut the tiller off and walked up to her.  I told her nicely that she was worrying me, but she insisted she was fine and wanted to help.  

My choices were (1) quit working, myself, so she would quit, or (2) find her something less strenuous to do.  

It was about to get dark, but I really, really wanted to get those peas planted.  I pulled out the bag of seeds and said, "How about I start planting what I've plowed, and you cover the seeds up."  The dirt was soft and loose, easily maneuvered with the hoe.  I dropped seeds in the half-rows where I'd plowed.  While she covered them up, I RACED up the rest of the rows with the tiller.  She'd caught up with me by then.  I planted the new rows until my seeds ran out.  Planted them WAY too thick, but at least they're planted.

As I was leaving to come home, Nanny said she might do some chopping in the morning.  I begged her not to do that, as she would be home alone.  And I told her I was going to tell The Husband on her.

And I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment