Friday, May 12, 2023

Rain - May 12, 2023

Yesterday morning's garden check had a few surprises.

The tomatoes did not get beaten down from Wednesday's rain and hail (but yesterday's rain and this morning's rain might have changed that).  I went to the garden with a pocket full of pantyhose strips to use to tie them to their metal fence post supports, but they are not quite close enough or big enough to be tied to the posts.   

Purple hull peas are starting to come up, as are the okra, squash, and cucumbers.  I don't know what got into Nanny when we planted the cucumbers (I made the "hills," she dropped the seeds).   She planted WAY MORE than our usual 5-6 seeds per hill.  Maybe it was because I'd told her the seeds were old and might not be viable.  

But those great northern beans that I planted from a bag of grocery store dried beans?  Mercy!  I was liberal with the sowing, and it looks like every bean has sprouted, thick as cat hair!  I'll have to do some thinning once the soil dries up enough to walk on.



It appears that the wood chips and shredded leaves that we worked into the garden soil in the low spots might have helped the drainage situation.  There was no big puddle standing anywhere in the garden, though the soil was mighty wet.  




No comments:

Post a Comment