Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Violet Seeds Started - May 9, 2023

I planted the violet seeds this morning.

Here's the pod, laying on an index card.  Had to hold it with tweezers while I sliced it open with an exacto knife.  See the tiny specs around it?  Those are seeds.

I dug the seeds out with the point of the knife.  Here they are:


I planted them in a recycled deli container full of moistened seed starter mix.  The soil wanted to float on top of the water, even though I stirred it with a spoon.

I held the index card over the soil and tapped it, trying to evenly distribute the seeds over the soil.  Since the soil seemed to be floating instead of soaking up the water, I misted the seeds with a spray bottle.  After that, I covered the container with press-n-seal wrap and set it under the grow lamp.

I do not know which violet pollenated the "mother" plant.  The mother plant blooms are variegated raspberry/white.  The other two violets on the windowsill are solid pink and purple/white.  Since I was just experimenting, I touched both of the other two plants and then touched the mother plant, so I don't know which of the other two is the parent.  

When Granddaughter #3 was here a couple of weekends ago, we used a tiny paint brush to pollenate the pink violet with pollen from the purple/white violet.  See that little green dot under the stamens?  I think it worked!  #3 will be so excited!





No comments:

Post a Comment