Tuesday, May 30, 2023

A Good Weekend (and garden check) - May 30, 2023

I had a good weekend.

Saturday was The Grandson's 16th birthday.  He spent Saturday and Sunday nights with us.  "My baby boy" is 6'3" and has facial hair, but he's still my baby boy.  Until his parents divorced, he spent almost every weekend with us.  When he was about 4, I bought a Nintendo game console and the Zelda "Skyward Sword" game.  He's played every Zelda game that has come out since then.  Several weeks/months ago, I pre-ordered the Zelda "Tears of the Kingdom" game, and it came in a couple of weeks ago.  We played ToTK this weekend.  :)

* * * * * * * * 

The purple hull peas that Nanny and I planted are beginning to sprout.  I ran the sprinkler on them and the peppers yesterday evening, hoping to encourage the peas.

I did a little yard gardening this weekend.  A local greenhouse was having a 40% off sale, and I made two trips for flower bed and flower pot plants.  My niece gave me some morning glories and moonflowers that she'd started.  I put them in a flower pot (along with some mini-petunias) next to a tall shepherd's hook.  Putting the vines in a flower pot may have been a mistake, but putting them in the ground (where the mower and weed-eater can get to them) might have been worse.  

In the flower bed, I planted some blue salvia.  Something dug it up last night.  I'll have to get the mouse trap out again to deter the critter.



My sister sent me some unusual squash seeds, and I planted those in little containers to transfer to the garden.

On this week's gardening agenda: (1) plant the extra tomato seedlings in the garden where the first seedlings drowned; (2) plant the rose bush that Son #2 gave me for Mothers Day; (3) get a new hose cart (and a splitter, if I can find one) for the vegetable garden hoses; and (4) plant the other halves of the great northern bean rows.  

How much of that do you reckon I'll get done?  ;)

* * * * * * * * 

We have the "privilege" of babysitting Lord Duffy the Cat while his family is on a camping trip.  He arrived Thursday and will be here until Wednesday.  He wouldn't be any trouble if he wouldn't try to get on my kitchen table and cabinets.  I can't stand that. Working on the porch as I do, if he's in the house, I can't monitor his behavior.  So Friday, I put him out on the back porch.  HE LOVES IT OUT HERE. At home, he has two dimutive canine brothers to molest when he feels like it, but most of the time he just lies around and sleeps all day.  On the porch, he hears things moving around under the floor (probably lizards and chipmunks) and stalks them, staring down at the cracks between the boards.  Yesterday, he chased a lizard that got onto the porch.  (It escaped, much to Duffy's annoyance.)  Other times, he stares through the screens at birds and bugs.  



When I go inside, I offer to let him in the house (in case he's thirsty or needs to use his litter box - ugh!), he glares at me.  No, thank you.  That suits me just fine.  We let (make) him come in at night but trap him in a spare bedroom so he doesn't snoop around in the kitchen or howl at our door all night.  He has not yet attempted to escape when we go in/out the screen doors.  I think he's too much of a chickensh*t to want out.  Scared-y pants house cat.  ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment