Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Tomatoes Planted - May 3, 2023

Man, it's been noisy around here today.  

The tree cutters came.  Chainsaws.  Bobcats.  Beep-beep-beep backup noises all day long.  

See that red dot wayyyyy up in that tree?  It's a dude.  They put him up there with a crane.  He's fairly new on the job and seemed kinda nervous.  Can't say I blame him.  It was windy, and I bet the top of that tree was swaying.  And he's up there with a chainsaw.  I seriously respect this dude.

* * * * * * * 

I am so sick of dealing with neighborhood critters.  Groundhogs.  Armadillos.  Ants.  (Even imaginary ants, but that's another story.)

I am determined to catch this stinking groundhog.  He is mining our gulley.  I'd love to plug up one end of his tunnel and do something vile in the other end, some Wile E. Coyote trick that will bring him, gagging and choking, out of his hole, where he would collapse with his tongue hanging out.  

Instead, I've gone back to trapping.  As nice as today was, he probably would have been out and about if it hadn't been so noisy.  When the cutters left and things quieted down, I put a salad in his trap, thinking he might come out to see what all the noise had been about.

As to ants, I raised our bathroom window this afternoon to let in some light and fresh air, and there was an ANT NEST in the groove between the window and the screen.  The ants grabbed their larvae and ran for it, and I went hysterical trying to find something to spray them with before they could get away.  The nearest spray bottle had Comet bathtub cleaner in it.  I grabbed it and let 'em have it.  It straight up did the job.  But then I had to sop up the Comet and the ants and the larvae.  It was disgusting.  I did not want to put the paper towel in the garbage, so I took it outside and set fire to it.  Then I vacuumed the window and dumped the bin in case a survivor was in it.

After the cutters left, I talked The Husband into doing some tractoring in the vegetable garden.  We tilled the soil two weekends ago and hadn't done another thing since.  Haven't made up any rows or even made a plan to make up rows.  The ground has been too wet to work until a day or two ago, and it's supposed to rain again tomorrow.  The tomato seedlings are looking pitiful and need to be in the ground.  So we took them to the garden this evening.  The original agreement was just to drive tomato stakes in the ground, and I'd plant the tomatoes tomorrow morning.  Since the tiller was still on the tractor, it was not hard to convince The Husband to make one more pass over the garden.  Then we drove the stakes in with the tractor bucket.  Before we left the garden, we planted 38 tomato seedlings.  There are more still on the patio table.  

(I distinctly remember telling The Husband, "Don't let me plant this many tomato plants next year."  And look what happened.)

Nanny is having problems with fire ants in her yard.  I mowed her yard yesterday and ran over about 10 hills.  Talk about creepy.  Horror movie stuff.  We have been dosing the hills with fire ant killer, and it seems to kill the nest.  But they may just be moving. 

They'd best not move to the vegetable garden.






No comments:

Post a Comment