Monday, June 19, 2023

Celebrations - June 19, 2023

We had a very nice weekend celebrating birthdays and Fathers Day with family.  

Saturday afternoon, we celebrated the birthdays of Son #2 and Granddaughter #1.  They were "big" birthdays - #40 for the Son, and #18 for the Granddaughter.  The son took a little ribbing about turning 40.


I am "Last-Minute Lucy" when it comes to planning family get-togethers.  Once upon a time, I cooked Sunday dinner every week for anyone who wanted to come eat.  Then our boys grew up, got jobs, and acquired wives and children and work obligations, and my parents passed away, and gradually the weekly dinners came to a halt.  But this weekend everyone was off work, and it was a triple-event weekend (two birthdays and Fathers Day), and just before the Saturday birthday parties were over, it occurred to me to invite everyone to Sunday supper.

They all came!

I cooked BIG - baked ham AND meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, slaw, skillet corn - thinking we'd have enough leftovers to eliminate the need to cook for a couple of days.  The meatloaf was an afterthought that hit me when I went to the grocery store to buy stuff for the green bean casserole.  I made a big one, thinking The Husband and I would have meat loaf sandwiches the next night.  At the end of the meal, there was a 1" square of meatloaf left.  No meatloaf sandwiches for us tonight.  We packed up leftovers for Son #1, who is working today, and then we all retired to the back porch.

Both sons brought their guitars.  The Husband got out his baritone uke.  They played and sang everthing from old-time gospel to new-fangled country.  

It was a good ending to a good weekend.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment