Thursday, June 22, 2023

First Squash and Cucumbers - June 22, 2023

 At lunchtime today, I took a break and walked down to the vegetable garden.  It had been several days since I'd seen it, and several more since I'd done any work in it because the ground was too wet.  

And who did I catch out there hoeing between the purple hull pea rows?  Yep, Nanny.  She claimed she was just getting ready to quit and sat down under a shade tree while I went to look at the garden.

The whole squash row needed picking!  It yielded half of a 5-gallon bucket full of squash, quite a haul for a "first pickin'."   

On the cucumber row, there was a double handful of cucumbers big enough to pick, and a bunch more that will be big enough in a day or two.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all these cucumbers.  We still have pickles and cucumber relish left from last year.  Maybe I should start looking for some new recipes.

There were good-sized green tomatoes on the tomato vines.  Some fried green tomatoes would be yummy, but I have a strict rule against picking green tomatoes until I've had that first ripe tomato/mayo sandwich, and we're a ways off from that.  My brother texted me earlier in the week that he had picked a ripe tomato off of the plants I gave him.  I bet he had his tomato/mayo sandwich that very day.

There was work that needed to be done.  The tomato plants needed to be tied to their stakes.  (Some plants don't even have stakes - we ran out.  I am considering carpeting the ground with cardboard around those un-staked tomatoes and just letting them do their natural thing.)  There was grass to be pulled/dug up.  Since this trip to the garden was just an exercise break, I told Nanny I'd be back come evening.  She took some of the squash and cucumbers, and I lugged the rest home in the bucket.  

I took out enough squash for a small casserole and delivered the rest to Son #2's family.  

My casserole was not very good.  Tomorrow, I'm going to doctor it and serve it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment