Thursday, June 1, 2023

Diggers - June 1, 2023

I have HAD IT with whatever critter is digging up my flowers.

Asshole.

It must be the smell of fresh dirt that's attracting it.  I said to The Husband, "We should bait the live trap with a pile of dirt."  

He said, "I suggested that a couple of months ago, and you said it was silly."

"Well, you should have tried it, anyway."

Neither of us has baited the trap with dirt, yet.  I'm going to do it tomorrow.

To discourage the animal (I think I will call him Jose') from digging up the flowers I planted this weekend, I set a mouse trap in the flower bed near the new plantings.  He sprung it the first night and side-stepped the flower bed but dug in the newly-planted flower pot on the sidewalk.    

Yesterday, or maybe the day before, The Husband made another silly suggestion:  sprinkle red pepper flakes around all the new plants.  I did it immediately.  Let Jose' get a snoot full of that!  He hasn't dug there since (that I can tell).  Instead, he dug up one of the daylilies I transplanted yesterday and had forgotten to pepper.  

In this, Jose' might have done me a favor.  The area where I planted those daylilies is the hard-packed shoulder of a gravel driveway, and loosening the soil was a nightmare.  By the time I got to the third clump, I flung it at a shallow hole, mashed it down with my foot, and called it quits.  Replanting the daylilies this evening, I observed that the clump settled in a little better.  Jose's digging had loosened the soil a bit, I guess.


\

No comments:

Post a Comment