Saturday, June 17, 2023

Essence - June 17, 2023

Look!  Since the trees came down, I have enough sun to grow zinnias!


This morning, there is one fully-open zinnia bloom, and buds are forming all over the place.

This bed has two different ages of zinnias - two full packets of seeds, planted about two weeks apart.  Most of the second sowing washed downhill to the lower edge of the bed and came up in a tight row.  Some of these I moved to another bed.  The move set them back a bit, but they'll be settling in soon.

There is also yarrow in that bed, and bee balm, and a few other things.  Lavender.  It shocked me that the lavender survived this year's freezes.  They didn't bloom this year (or at least haven't yet bloomed), but they're alive.

See that boat at the end of the flower bed?  The tree-cutters found this boat buried in leaves near the trees they cut.  One of them wanted it, and we said he could have it, but they left without it.  It probably leaks, and we've been offering it to everyone who comments on it.  This week, I toured a local woman's flower garden, and she had turned a boat like this into a planter.  Some things were planted directly in dirt in the boat, and other things were planted in pots on top of the soil.  It was kinda neat.  Since we have a pond just at the bottom of the hill, I may steal the lady's idea.

* * * * * * * * 

The title of this post - "Essence" - was written early this morning, when I was contemplating watercolor painting.  And fragrances.  And communities.  Maybe I'll pontificate on those things some other time, when I don't have to be elsewhere soon.  Today is another birthday party day.  I just checked on the two cakes I made yesterday to make sure that the icing hadn't slid off the cakes, and it hadn't.  Good to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment