Friday, February 16, 2024

Friday - February 16, 2024

We had our 44th Anniversary Dinner last night at an Italian restaurant.  

On our first anniversary, I was four days over-due with Son #1 (and four days away from his birth).  We went to Memphis with the frozen top of our wedding cake, planning on dinner at a steak restaurant we liked, but it was Sunday, and the restaurant was closed.  We chose another steakhouse.  Our cake had crumbled all to heck when dessert time rolled around.  When the waiter saw it, he gave us a free dessert - cheesecake, I think.  

Before we started on the long drive home, I went to the ladies' room.  There were only two stalls, and one of them was occupied.  The remaining stall was against a wall, and on that wall, less than 2 feet from the stall, was a radiator that prevented the stall door from opening all the way.  I managed to squeeze in but squeezing out (without giving the baby a concussion) was tricky.  By the time I got back to our table, The Husband was about ready to send for help.

Last night's dinner was less stressful.  The restaurant had a Valentine's Day menu that was still running, and on that menu was a Chocolate-Covered Cherry martini.  Now, I love me some chocolate-covered cherries.  The martini was . . . okay.  It was pink and frothy and had chocolate syrup dripping down the inside of the glass.  If we'd been at home, I'd have put my whole face in the glass to get at that chocolate, but The Husband frowns on that sort of thing in public.  *snicker*

It had a kick, though.  By the time we got home at 7:30, I was longing for the bed . . . for SLEEPING.  I'd gotten up at 4:30 a.m. and would've been useless even without the martini.  I managed to stay upright until 9:00, when I gave up and went to bed.

Up at 4:30 again this morning.  It was still dark when I came out to the porch with my laptop and coffee.  The barred owls were awake and hooting at one another.  One of them has a call that sounds like something from a Tarzan movie.  

* * * * * * * 

Yesterday, I saw the first crocus bloom of the year.  The daffodils are up, 6" tall or better, and budding.  It appears that last year's new hydrangeas made it through the cold snap, but barely, even though they were covered.  Another bad freeze might do them in.  

I don't have a plan for today.  I went outside and cut back a couple of my rosebushes, but didn't venture very far from the house.  The yard is squishy, made even squishier by mole tunnels EVERYWHERE.  I need to find the mole trap and set it.  I need to start some tomato seeds, or at least gather up the supplies.  Earlier in the week I bought the fertilizer and lime recommended by the garden soil test.  It's too wet to apply them right now.  

Yesterday, I worked on the tractor painting and made it worse instead of better.  Ended the exercise by painting over a whole section of the tractor's "innards" (on purpose); will re-do it when the paint dries, if I don't paint the whole thing white and start over with a subject that is not a #*@*! old tractor.




No comments:

Post a Comment