Thursday, February 29, 2024

Ugh...cold - February 29, 2024

Happy Leap Day, and happy birthday to my Aunt Bonnie, who turns about 20 today.  :)

Yesterday was Office Day.  It went by unusually fast, for I had exciting work to do.  For the first half of the day, I scanned and emailed a 2-foot tall stack of documents.  Wooohoooo!  Great fun!  But it gave me something to do.  After lunch, I worked on my new project.

My new project is to figure out how to start a county document archive.  My love of history and genealogy makes this work kind of exciting.  I'm researching the law, talking to archivists, making lists.  The non-fun part is being powerless to make decisions and get 'er done.  Bureaucracy, you know.  The hard part will be figuring out how much space is needed (somebody else will have to figure out how to pay for it).  Our county offices are bursting at the seams with paper that must be kept, and their records are stored all over the place.  I've got to get a handle on what's out there, and where it is, before I can figure out how much space an archive will need.  Today, I'm having lunch with a couple of clerks to find out where their documents are.  In a few weeks, I'll be going to an archivist training class.  It surprises me that The New Boss is sending me to that class, for I probably will have retired before this thing gets off the ground.  Maybe he anticipates that I will volunteer at the archive.  He might be right.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment