Monday, September 9, 2024

Kneezles - September 9, 2024

After Saturday's Wrangler spiffing-up, I ended up spending a couple of hours painting and watching painting videos on the back porch. When the time came to rustle up some dinner, I stood up and took one step and gasped with pain.  My "bad" knee (the other one's not all that great, either) had stiffened up.  I expected to walk it off, as usual, but it didn't work, and come yesterday morning, I could barely stand to put weight on it.  The knee brace seemed to make it worse.

On the back porch there was a walking cane, one of those adjustable metal ones with 4 feet.  This cane ended up at our house two years ago when we were tasked with cleaning out a deceased aunt's apartment.  We've been using it to prop open the screen door on the porch in the winter, when the porch is weatherized.  I tried to use it to take weight off my knee, but the rubber tip was missing from one of the feet, and it was too wobbly.  The Husband engineered another tip from a piece of rubber, and it made the cane   I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to use the thing.

I went to work today.  Used my chair to move boxes from the stack to the table.  The task I was doing - putting numbers on files - could be done while sitting, but I had to get up often enough that my knee got a little exercise.  On the way home I stopped at the grocery store.  It's hard to drive a buggy while using a cane.  It's also hard to stash the cane in the buggy without dragging things off of shelves with the part that sticks out of the basket.

My knee seems a little better.  I moved - carefully! - around in the kitchen, mixing up a meatloaf for dinner, without using the cane.  The muscles in my right arm, chest, and side are tired and sore from all the contortions.  



No comments:

Post a Comment