Monday, September 2, 2024

Knee-zles (and Rain) - September 2, 2024

A former co-worker came in limping one day, and when we asked her what was wrong, she said she had the "kneezles."  

Now, I've got them.

Two weeks ago, when I got out of bed, my knee screamed when I put weight on it.  This is the same knee that I dislocated twice when I was a teenager, the same knee that was operated on 20 years ago (and subsequently screwed up again when I squatted to pick up a fat grandbaby a few years later).

I walked it off that morning, two weeks ago, and didn't have much trouble until Friday of last week, when it started to swell after I'd been on my feet all day.  I figured it would be ok after some rest, but it wasn't.  Been hobbling around all weekend.  Today I dug out an old knee brace, and it helps, but it just about cuts my circulation off.

And I'm still not altogether "over" covid.

So, yesterday afternoon, Nanny shows up with a bunch of tomatoes and okra from the garden.  Except that today was a holiday and I did not go to work, I would have dropped it all off at the community garden, as I am scarcely physically able to deal with it.  But mid-morning, The Husband went up in the attic and got down some jars for pickled okra (which I'd said I was going to make before my knee went out).  We scalded, chopped, cooked, and froze the tomatoes, and made a few jars of pickled okra using some dill pickle mix I found in the pantry.  It's probably going to be slimy because I did not soak it in pickling lime.  We will eat it, anyway.

Over the past few days, we've gotten GOOD rain, which we desperately needed.  The rain ought to boost the butterbeans, peas, and squash, and there'll probably be a truckload of okra to be picked by tomorrow. I'll check it tomorrow.  

If I can walk.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment