Sunday, April 14, 2024

Cabbage and Broccoli - April 14, 2024

Yesterday was a busy day, with much to do before we leave for our road trip.

Mid-morning, I called Nanny to see if she would foster-parent my tomato (and other) seedlings while we're gone.  My plan was to take the seedlings to her back porch rather than asking her to tend to them here.  She said she would be happy to do it but suggested that I wait until late evening to bring them to her, since there would be carpenters (family members) coming to work on her porch after lunch.

For most of the morning, I did laundry and gathered up clothes for the trip while The Husband cleaned his truck.  After lunch, we both went to work in the yard, which we'd let grow tall for the sake of the bees.  With the yardwork done, The Husband went to Nanny's to help the carpenters while I gathered up the seedlings to move to Nanny's.

I went ahead and planted the broccoli and cabbages in the garden while The Husband helped the carpenters.  The seedlings should have been in the ground a month ago.  I only planted about a dozen of them and have a bunch more that will probably croak, left unattended while we're gone, but I didn't want to ask Nanny to tend them since I don't plan on planting them.  I'd like to drop them off at the community garden on our way out of town, but they are planted in plastic drawers that I would like to keep but would probably disappear if left at the garden for two weeks.

Somewhere between the laundry and the yardwork, I got out the kit that I'd bought from Hobby Lobby the previous day.  It's a punch needle kit.  I've never done that kind of craft.  It looked easy in some videos I watched.  After fooling with the kit for about an hour, I decided that punch needle is not a craft that should be done in a car, rolling at top speed down the interstate, even for an experienced puncher.  So far, I have yet to produce a line of stitching that did not immediately pull out of the fabric.  Once we get to our first destination, I will have time in the hotel room to try again while The Husband is at his meetings.

I am also taking my watercolor/drawing supplies.  We will be in the mountains, and I just might be inspired, if I can work up the gumption to fire up the truck and battle my way through tourist town traffic to get somewhere with a view worth painting.

It will be time to plant the garden when we come home.






No comments:

Post a Comment