Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Tuesday - April 2, 2024

I was just about to leave for work this morning when a storm hit, dumping buckets of rain.  I've swapped my crocs for rubber boots, but I am going to wait for the next round to pass by before heading out the door.  

Yesterday I worked in the courthouse basement, continuing the inventory I started last week.  The room is nasty and moldy and full of spiders and old building dust.  In the left-hand corner, just inside the door, there is a life-sized plywood cut-out of the mayor, complete with a suit, tie, shoes, and a picture of his face glued on top; he scared me Monday morning when I turned on the light, even though I'd known he was there.  Later, as I was trying to set up a table to work on, he fell over on me while I had my back turned to him - scared the tee-total PISS out of me, and I had to fight to get his dusty, spidery self off me. (I intend to take him to the archive if/when we get one.  Gonna set him right up front to welcome visitors.)  I wrote up inventory sheets by hand until about 2:00 - finished the north wall - then I came home to transfer the handwritten information to a spreadsheet.  

* * * * * * * * 

Twenty minutes after I started this post, it quit raining, and I went to my basement room.  (The Mayor did not startle me today.)  I attacked the creepy metal shelf on the east wall.  There were spider webs (still bearing spiders that must have died of old age) between me and the books/boxes on the shelf.  In another creepy room beyond my work room, I found a stir-stick in a dried-up paint can and used it to knock the webs away.  I was scared to reach in and grab anything, but I did it, and finished the east wall and most of the south wall.  Hopefully, I will finish the room tomorrow.  Only three more rooms (in that basement) to do after that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment