Sunday, April 7, 2024

Progress - April 7, 2024

Though I expected to be finished inventorying the records in the creepy courthouse basement room by the end of the week, I didn't make it.  There were three file cabinets that contained one series of documents, but they were all mixed up.  It seemed that when one file cabinet - A to Z - was full, they simply started a new A-Z file cabinet.  On top of that, it seems that at some point someone had taken handfulls of files and simply stuffed them in the cabinets wherever they would fit.  Thus, in order to make sense of what was there, I had to empty all three cabinets, alphabetize the contents, and put it all back in the cabinets in the correct order.  After that, I made a spreadsheet list of the files.  This took the better part of three days.  By Friday afternoon, I'd finished inventorying only one of the three rooms.  Hopefully, the next two won't take as long.

Each day, I came home TIRED.  After a long winter of sitting on my rear end, I am out of shape, and the work - lifting heavy boxes and ledgers - made me ache.  I would come home, shower off the mold and dust, and collapse until bedtime.  We ate Easter dinner leftovers and frozen pizzas for supper every night because I was too tired to cook.

I should truly be finished with the courthouse basement by the end of the coming week.  After that, I am not sure what to tackle next.  Some of the county departments have their acts together with regard to records management, but others have been somewhat haphazard. One of them generates mountains of paper that have been stored in every available nook and cranny in the county.  I don't know how I will make sense of this disaster.  One box at a time, I reckon.

* * * * * * * * * *

The Grandson came over Friday night and will be here through Tuesday night.  He is a good kid.  He had a bumpy road after his parents divorced, but he has turned himself around, is making good grades and has a sensible plan for his future education.  I am proud of him.  

* * * * * * * * * * 

Yesterday, the family on the hill convened to renovate Nanny's back porch.  The ceiling and the rafters suffered water damage and had to be replaced.  The Husband went to the lumber store yesterday morning to get the materials.  Construction started just after lunch time and was almost finished by dinner time.

I did not participate in the construction.  While The Husband went to get the lumber, I went to the grocery store - we were OUT of food in this house.  When I got home, I put red beans & rice in the slow cooker and went down to Nanny's to help, but the menfolk had it under control.  I ended up mowing Nanny's yard until supper time. I came home to get the beans & rice, and when I got back to Nanny's with the food, everyone was exhausted and preparing to leave.  The four of us who stayed barely put a dent in the pot.  The Husband and I may be eating beans & rice for the rest of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment