Saturday, October 10, 2020

Armadillo APB - October 10, 2020

It's raining this morning, courtesy of whatever hurricane is in the Gulf this week (Delta, maybe?).  It was raining - okay, misting - when I came home from work yesterday, so I didn't get any gardening done.  Truth be told, I could've worked a little, but was too lazy.

Instead, I looked for the piano rug.  It wasn't in the top of the craft closet, as I expected.  I'm stumped.

After supper, The Husband and I came out to the porch to chill for a while.  Suddenly, he jumped up, grabbed the spotlight, and started shining it around the back yard.  He's heard something crunching through the fallen leaves.  "There he is!" he exclaimed.  It was a big armadillo, probably the one that has been digging up our yard for the past couple of weeks.  It was hunkered down between the porch and the 4-wheeler, which was parked less than 10 feet from the porch.  

I said, "Shoot it!"

He said he hated to shoot it, especially where it was (he didn't want to hit the 4-wheeler or shoot in the direction of the neighbors' houses).  

I said, "Then club it with something!"

He didn't think that was a good idea.  

As we stood there, deliberating, he armadillo went under the 4-wheeler.

The Husband went inside to get the .22.  

I should have held the spotlight on the armadillo, for it had disappeared by the time The Husband came back out with the rifle.  We went out to patrol the yard, looking for it, but couldn't find it.  He shined the spotlight around the yard several more times before we went inside for the night, but never saw it again.

As we were getting ready to go to bed, The Husband picked up his telephone and saw a text message from Cousin Jamie next door.  (She and The Husband have been playing a texting game for the past couple of months.  Every time one of them hears a gunshot, he/she will text the other, "Did you get it?")  She'd sent the text two hours earlier, while we were out hunting the critter:  "Just a heads up.  Saw a big armadillo.  It's been tearing up my yard.  If I see it again, it's toast."

Looks like that old possum-on-the-half-shell is on everybody's "most wanted list."  







No comments:

Post a Comment