Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Tooth Fairy - October 21, 2020

 Yesterday afternoon, when The Granddaughters arrived home from school, The Nugget ran up to me and said, "Grandmama, I lost a tooth today at school!"  

I said, "Show me!"  

She grinned real big, but the poor kid was missing so many teeth that I had to ask her to point to the space where the tooth had been.  

She asked, "Do you want to see my tooth?"  

Thank goodness that I said, "Yes," for if I had not, the Tooth Fairy might have wound up on The Nugget's bad list.

She dug around in her back-pack and came up with a tiny orange plastic treasure chest.  Inside it was a tiny white tooth.  (Do 1st Grade teachers keep a stock of tiny treasure chests for this purpose?)

Fast forward to 10 p.m..  The Nugget had been asleep for an hour by that time.  As I was on my way to bed, I spied the little orange treasure chest on the desk in my office.  I picked it up and shook it, and it rattled; the tooth was still in it.  Nugget had forgotten to put it under her pillow.  Both she and her older sister were asleep on the top bunk bed, with the older sister on the outside.  I had little hope of getting the treasure chest under Nugget's pillow without waking her. 

I went back to the living room and told The Husband about the problem.  Neither of us knew how much money the Tooth Fairy pays for teeth these days.  In any case, I was limited to cash on hand, a whopping $2.00.  I smoothed out the two bills, laid them on the desk, and set the orange treasure chest on top of them.

Fast forward to this morning.  When I came out of my bedroom, Nugget and her older sister were in my office, arguing.  

"Yes, you did," Nugget was insisting.

"NO, I DIDN'T," Lou-Lou said.

When she saw me, Lou-Lou said, "Grandmama, the Tooth Fairy left Nugget some money for her tooth, and she didn't even put it under her pillow!"

I said, "WOW!" and continued my trek toward the coffee pot.

Behind me, I heard Nugget say, "I know it was you.  The Tooth Fairy always takes the tooth."

For me, it was one of those forehead-slapping moments.  It had been a very long time since the Tooth Fairy had visited my house.  ;)

* * * * * * * * 




No comments:

Post a Comment