Friday, October 9, 2020

Garden Check - October 9, 2020

 About 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, I was feeling all out of sorts and didn't know what to do with myself.  I'd already decided that the kitchen was CLOSED for this night; we'd have to eat sandwiches, or rummage around in the refrigerator for left-overs.  I surfed the TV news channels for a few minutes, and that just made my restlessness worse.  So, even though I wasn't planning on cooking dinner, I went to the garden to see what vegetables I could pick.

Three squash.  That was all.  

There wasn't even any okra, except for a couple of big ones that I missed the last time I cut okra.

There were a few turning tomatoes, and some green ones.

Turnip greens are still too little to fool with.

Butterbeans are still flat as pancakes.

Cabbages are just beginning to make heads.  The broccoli and brussels sprouts appear to be a long way from making anything.

There was a good-sized patch of that old foxtail grass in one end of the garden, and it was about to go to seed.  I decided to pull it up, hoping to reduce the grass problem for next year.  I pulled up a wheel-barrow load of the stuff.  If it doesn't rain before I get home from work today, I'm going to run the tiller over that spot and plant more greens.

The purple hull pea vines needed to be pulled up, but by the time I got through pulling up the grass, I was out of the mood to tackle the job.

I laid the three squash on the bench beside Nanny's back door (she wasn't home) and walked back home with my empty bucket.  

We had frozen pizza for supper.

About 8:30, my son and his wife dropped in for a visit.  Their house-sitting job will end this weekend, and they and The Granddaughters will be coming back home.  School is out for fall break next week, and I've been trying to come up with some craft ideas to help them pass the time.  While I was looking for my knitting needle pouch last weekend, I found a rug-hook kit that I'd bought a couple of years ago.  The pattern looks like piano keys, and I thought the oldest granddaughter might enjoy making the rug, so I set the box out so that I would remember to give it to her.  When her parents got here last night, I showed them the kit.  Digging around in the box, I discovered that the mesh (the rug background) was missing from the box.  Evidently, I've already worked on it a little bit - yet another UFO (un-finished object) in my house.

Somewhere in my house.

I did not run across it last weekend when I tore the place up-side down, looking for the knitting needle pouch.  The only place it could be is the top shelf in the craft closet, the one place I did not tackle.  That top shelf is an avalanche waiting to happen.  I'll need reinforcements to help me pull down the heavy tubs.  No telling what I'll find in them.  I just hope the rest of the rug hook kit is there!


No comments:

Post a Comment