Thursday, October 22, 2020

Garden Check - October 22, 2020

 

I went down to the garden this afternoon to see if the butterbeans were ready to pick.  According to my earlier posts, I planted them the first week of August, and they sprouted within just few days.  The seed package said 90 days to maturity.  We're getting close.  The pods are beginning to fatten, but they're not ready yet.  There's a big stomped-down trail across the rows where a neighbor's cows escaped their pasture and strolled through the bean rows.  And while I was bending over, feeling the pods, the plants commenced to shaking like there was an earthquake.  I couldn't see what was causing it - my first thought was SNAKE! - and nearly broke my neck trying to back away before a big old rabbit shot out of the garden and headed for the woods.  

The turnip greens are about ready to pick.  The cows tromped through them, too.

We're STILL picking squash.  Got a few tomatoes, too.  

The okra is about 8 feet tall, and still blooming.  I didn't even think about cutting it.

We have three very healthy-looking cabbages.  They're starting to form heads.  The brussels sprouts are coming along, too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment