Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Contemplating Retirement - January 12, 2022

It was 53 degrees in my office yesterday when I got to work, though the thermostat was set at 72.  This was the second time in a week that we've had no heat.  The first time it happened, I called the landlord, and he asked me to call the HVAC company he uses, so I skipped the landlord altogether yesterday and just placed the call to the HVAC folks.  

The Boss and I were supposed to work in another county yesterday, but since someone needed to be at the office to let the repairman in, I stayed at the office with an electric space heater running full blast under my desk.  The Boss got back to the office after lunch.  We still had no heat.  She said, "Let's go home."  I texted the landlord, told him we had no heat and he would have to see to letting the repairman in.  

The Boss and I are both tired of our jobs.  When I told her the heat was out AGAIN, she heaved a big sigh and said, "I am just soooo . . . ."  We've worked together for nearly 30 years and can almost read each other's minds.  I nodded and said, "Meeeeeeee, too."  

She's retiring come August 30.  We'll have to clean out our offices, which I am dreading.  After that, she's done working.

I, on the other hand, should probably find another job.  It's a scary thought.  I may be too old, spoiled, and bossy to survive in a different environment.  When some young upstart tries to tell me what to do, I may be, like, "Look here, junior . . . ."  

Can you draw unemployment if you get fired for insubordination?

* * * * * * * * 

We went to see The Granddaughters last night.  The Little Rotten Baby is now walking as though she was born doing it.  With this new mobility, she has acquired a distaste for being told what to do.  When she started down the hallway in pursuit of her older sisters and her mother told her to come back, she stopped, whirled around, and said, "Nuh-UHHHH!" (with a waggle of her index finger for emphasis) and proceeded down the hallway.  Her mother popped her diapered butt, which hurt her feelings but not much else.

The Grandparents, of course, urged the baby to run to them for comfort, but the baby wanted an apology from her mama.  


 



No comments:

Post a Comment