Monday, January 10, 2022

L-o-n-g Weekend - January 10, 2022

I came home from work Thursday and have not left the property again.  It was a l-o-n-g boring weekend.  Rainy.  Cold.  Trapped in the house.

I've been wanting to do a colorful fabric bunting (or something) for the back porch.  While BFF was here, we made some fabric birds.  They weren't what I wanted.


Yesterday, I decided to try another kind of bird:




It would have been simple to just cut out the bird and sew it on the sewing machine.  But nooooo...I had to make it hard.  The plan was to digitize the bird so that they could be mass-produced on the embroidery machine.  I digitized the pattern for the bird's body and tried to cut out the wings and tail with my cutting machine.  This opened up another can of worms.

The cutting machine requires a sticky mat.  I have four of these mats, and all but one is covered with dust and lint, which has rendered them un-sticky.  Fabric would not stick to them securely enough to accurately cut the design.  


So, in the middle of the birding, I stopped to clean a mat.  Cleaned two of them, actually.  As dirty as they were, it was necessary to clean them all the way down to the original surface, which meant taking off the original "sticky."  It took an hour just to do one mat, and then the "sticky" had to be put back on.  I had a tube of 2-way glue - stuff that dries but remains sticky.  I ran out of glue after the first mat.  

Eventually, I was able to cut out the wings and tail for the pink bird, but once I assembled it, I didn't like the way the wings and the tail looked, so I went back to the computer to digitize some two-sided wings and tails to sew on the embroidery machine. 

Maybe I'll get it right someday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment